Monday, September 13, 2010

Advanced Math with a First Grade Reading Level

At the beginning of each new school year each student goes through all of the testing to see what levels they are at.  Reading and math tests were given to each child to determine what classes they will be going to.  Isaac has been on the first grade reading level since 3rd grade and has moved up now to almost a 2nd grade reading level.  So, when I get a letter sent home that states that Isaac has tested above average in his math section and has qualified to be in the accelerated math program, I thought there must be some mistake.  Last year he did okay in math, but nothing like this.  And then I got to thinking, he did great with his math problems except when there were word problems.  He would struggle and struggle with his homework and when I would read the word problems to him he would calculate it in his head.  I was amazed.  He started getting the special help he needed in January and all I can say is it has made a big difference.  From doing just okay, to doing his 5th grade math along with 6th grade math.  So at this rate he will be able to do Pre-Algebra next year.  


He does his 6th grade work at home, and watching him work out his problems was amazing today.  I mean I had to drag out the calculator to make sure his answers were correct.  The way he works it out is extremely unique, but to his eyes it is normal.  However he gets the correct answer is what is important to me.  He does so much of the work in his head and only writes it out if he has to.  See, when he works it out on paper it is a lot harder for him due to his dyslexia.....its like wires get crossed from what he sees in his mind and how he puts it down on paper.  All I can say is I am so proud of him for not giving up and fighting back.  I always gets so frustrated with him because sometimes he can act like such a baby and over-react.  He also hates losing at anything, board games, video games, sports, etc.  But if we walked in his shoes, we would see how he sees.  He always felt like he was stupid.  He would tell me that all the time.  "Mom, I try and try so hard but I just can't do it.  I'm just stupid".  I don't know how many times I heard that one. But the one thing he had on everyone else is his athletic ability.  I mean the kids taught himself how to ride a bike at 3 and was jumping off ramps within two month. He tried skateboarding and fell off a couple of times, and his determination that he has to master it payed off.  He practiced for a few hours straight and was rolling up and down the sidewalk like he had been riding for months.  When the Rip Stix became all the rage and he got one for his birthday he was so excited.  If you know anything about a Rip Stix, then you know that thing is insane.  He had me pull the car out of the garage so he could just work on going around in a circle until he mastered it.  He did by the end of the day.  Joey tried to get on it, and well let me just say that was a sight to see.  


The thing is, dyslexics will find something that they can master like sports, art, mechanics, etc.  Dyslexics also make great architects, because they see things in 3-D.  They are creative, they often have high IQ scores, and some are even geniuses.  Did you know that Albert Einstien was dyslexic?  I didn't but he is.  Also, Charles Schwab is.  He never reads book, only listens to them on CD.  I would have never guessed.  


I am so thankful that I followed my instinct and fought for him.  They told me he was ADHD, that I should have him tested.  I knew he wasn't......so after 3 1/2 years of being his advocate I was rewarded.  The smile on his face when he gave me that letter that said he made the accelerated math class was worth every battle.  I know my fight isn't over.  I know that I will always have to be the one standing beside him, until he can do it on his own.  I have told all three of my children that they can be ANYTHING they want to be.  They just have to put forth the effort and hard work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment